Sunday 3 February 2008

Return to winning ways


After missing last weeks cross country championships I was keen to get back into action as soon as possible so substituted a local half marathon race for the long tempo run I had scheduled. It was a strategy regularly used by Steve 'Brace the race' in the 1990s. Pretty much every sunday he was out running a 10k or half marathon as a hard tempo. But you need to be disciplined to make this work !

Blackmore Vale Lions put on a superb race. Efficient number pick up, loads of marshalls, lead vehicle and a speedy results service which puts many professional race to shame.

The best part of 600 people lined up on a cold and windy morning to take on the hilly course. By 2 miles I found myself clear of the field but with the first half of the race into the teeth of the gale I was struggling to even run 5.30 miles. A 5.50 for the uphill 6th mile left me at 33.20 and pretty demoralised as the prospect of breaking the course record looked a distant dream.

In the space of two miles though the dream was back on again as with the wind I my back a couple of sub 5s gave me renewed confidence. Maintaining the pace I was able to reel off the next 6 miles in under 30minutes before facing the final climb up to the finish and a very satisfying 69.11 victory to take the course record bonus.

In the news:
Dorset Echo
Western Gazette

Full Results


No comments: