Thursday 31 January 2008

Southern Cross Country disappointment

After a string of successful races to end 2007 my luck finally ran out last weekend as I was forced to miss out on the 'Southern' at Parliament Hill due to ill health. I had really been looking forward to a 9 mile slog over this classic course, confident that my marathon strength would set me up to improve on my best Southern finish of 6th place in 2006 and help my Wells City Harriers team into the medal positions.

As it turned out, teammate Frank Tickner proved to be a convincing winner of the senior mens race. Enouraging for the team was seeing new addition Eliot Haines finish 33rd just behind Andy Hennessey. These two regularly dueled in Somerset Schools races in the '90s so it is great to see Eliot back in action and bringing more depth to our squad with the season's big races still to come.

On the other side of the world, occasional training partner Mara Yamauchi won the Osaka Ladies Marathon in a PB 2:25.10 to notch her first marathon victory with impeccable timing in Olympic year.

No comments: